Open Source ECU Tools
 FAQ •  Register •  Login 

RomRaider

Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introductions and irritations all around.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm 

Hi guys/gals,

I'm Rick. I'm from eastern Washington, and I'm trying my hand at this whole OpenSource thing. My 02' is giving me fits. I'm ready to burn it down, or sell it, but not until I've exhausted every chance of bringing her to life.

It's a divorced DP, cat less, cat less up-pipe, SPT intake, and a grimmspeed 3 port. I've been fighting overboost like mad. I'm trying to figure out a couple things.

1.) do I go to a manual boost controller, and just tune to a specific PSI?

2.) Is there somewhere I can find what an "ideal map or log" looks like?

I've seen the base map sections, but I don't have the fuel upgrades or turbo upgrades that I'm seeing on their maps.

And if I'm that "annoying guy", by all means, tell me to pound sand, if warranted.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Introductions and irritations all around.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 am 

ideally you should be able to read the map off the car, adjust the wastegate duty tables and flash it back on to cure the overboost (assuming it's due to the mods you've fitted and not a mechanical issue that has magically appeared).

If you can create a log showing things like target boost and actual boost along with the RPM and WGDC it should help you pinpoint where the table needs adjusting.

MY06 EDM STi Type UK Spec D
============================
Panel Filter/2.5" Decat/Prodrive Springs/Leather Seats

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm 

I'd start by replacing the boost/vac hoses and triple-checking all of the fittings, just because that's pretty cheap and it might help a lot if you've got a leak somewhere.

If it's still overboosting after that, an MBC would eliminate the tuning variables - if you still get overboost with an MBC, then the root case is probably in the wastegate or actuator.

Also, if you hook up the MBC in parallel with the BCS, you basically end up with the benefits of both. You can dial in a boost level with the MBC (which is great for hitting specific parts of the fueling and timing maps) but the BCS fixes the part-throttle-full-boost issues that make MBC-only setups awkward to drive. I've been running my LGT that way for a lot time, I think it's a great way to go for DIY tuning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'll see about getting a log posted up here as well a shot of what the tables look like. I'm hoping someone will quickly point and say, "There's the problem dum dum."

:P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 pm 
RomRaider Donator

NSFW wrote:
I'd start by replacing the boost/vac hoses and triple-checking all of the fittings, just because that's pretty cheap and it might help a lot if you've got a leak somewhere.

If it's still overboosting after that, an MBC would eliminate the tuning variables - if you still get overboost with an MBC, then the root case is probably in the wastegate or actuator.

Also, if you hook up the MBC in parallel with the BCS, you basically end up with the benefits of both. You can dial in a boost level with the MBC (which is great for hitting specific parts of the fueling and timing maps) but the BCS fixes the part-throttle-full-boost issues that make MBC-only setups awkward to drive. I've been running my LGT that way for a lot time, I think it's a great way to go for DIY tuning.

do you have hybrid boost setup with the SI-Drive? i was wondering how this works?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 am 

welaish wrote:
NSFW wrote:

do you have hybrid boost setup with the SI-Drive? i was wondering how this works?

works the same as any of the 32bit cars really, if the requested torque is high enough for your WGDC table to call for 100% solenoid duty then your basically running off the MBC. At part throttle or lower requested torque values then you can bleed off some pressure using the solenoid duty with the MBC still ready to save you from any overshoots.

MY06 EDM STi Type UK Spec D
============================
Panel Filter/2.5" Decat/Prodrive Springs/Leather Seats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:21 pm 

Yep. The boost level is just limited by whichever one calls for the less boost at any moment. If your MBC is set for 15psi and you need 35% duty cycle for 15psi, then any time you're at less than 35% DC, the solenoid has control. Any time you're above 35% DC, the MBC has control. It's not exactly that simple because the MBC and BCS both produce a boost curve, so really the boost level would be the lower of those curves, but you get the idea.

The short answer is that selecting a lower-DC table with si-drive would give you the lower boost curve that the table calls for. The MBC would presumably be set to roughly match the si-drive table that calls for the highest boost level, so that when you're using that table the MBC would prevent overshooting that boost level.

And if you install a new part you can select the high si-drive table, turn the MBC down to minimum, and test/tune the fueling and timing that you get with wastegate boost. And then turn the MBC up 1-2psi and re-test. And repeat that until you're back up to full boost.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 pm 
RomRaider Donator

Got it. Thanks, I have AEM solenoid and grimspeed MBC how to connect them together?

Some people say that i have cap off the intake route? But some diagrams on internet its not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 pm 

I think people disagree because it works just as well either way. I think mine has the 3rd port connected to the turbo inlet, but I haven't looked at it since forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 am 

NSFW wrote:
I think people disagree because it works just as well either way. I think mine has the 3rd port connected to the turbo inlet, but I haven't looked at it since forever.

That's great if both ways work just as well. I guess the only question left is, which one is easier to do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:17 am 
RomRaider Donator

I have this one and it works perfectly.

Attachment:
Hybrid_setup.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.