Open Source ECU Tools
 FAQ •  Register •  Login 

RomRaider

Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 Table Layout Problem?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:55 pm 

I JUST got my surface pro the other day LOL specifically for datalogging. Got it pretty cheap from a friend locally. Anyway, while attempting to setup and use RR on it I notice the output display is a little funny. Please see attached screen shots taken of LV table and DTC codes.

Further, with this same version of RR (0.5.9 RC3 Logger Def Version: 323) I use on a Windows 7 laptop I have COM ports I can choose. Is it because I only have 1 usable full size USB port that it doesn't get displayed?

I can pull and read maps with my Tactrix 2.0 cable and obviously I can use it with RR due to the screen shots but am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 Table Layout Problem?
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:12 pm 

Bump. Anyone?

EDIT: think I might have found a possible solution. I'm not sure if it's program related or just how this version of windows 10 handles the files.

If you right click on the shortcut and choose properties > compatibility > settings section check "override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and choose "system" > apply > ok then the interface looks slightly normal and you can see all setting within romraider itself whereas prior you couldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:26 am 

I used to have a 15" laptop with a 3840 x 2160 display, and it had similar issues with RomRaider and a few other apps, mostly older ones. It's pretty common with high-DPI displays and the Surface 3 Pro's 12" 2160 x 1440 display definitely counts as high DPI. RomRaider is still being actively worked on, so maybe it's solvable, but on the other hand the root cause could be in Java rather than in RomRaider itself. I don't know exactly what the root cause is, other than having something to do with older Windows drawing APIs not understanding DPI. So some APIs draw stuff that scales properly on high-DPI screens, and some draw stuff that's X pixels tall no matter what the screen DPI is.

All of that said... I've heard that high-DPI issues were going to get better in the "Creators" update to Windows 10. Did it actually help at all?

My nice laptop broke so now I'm back to one that just has a 1920x1080 screen. Not quite as crisp, but at least RomRaider looks right again. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:25 am 
RomRaider Developer

This seems to be a Java issue not supporting HiDPI displays.
There's a workaround that you can perform but it will require that you use the ZIP (standalone) version of RomRaider rather than the installed .exe version.
The workaround requires that you edit the Windows Registry and create a .manifest file for your Java executables.
You can apply this same .manifest technique to EcuFlash and other applications with HiDPI issues.

Here's an example of what you would need to do for the java.exe and javaw.exe executables in your Java installation directory.
http://pocketnow.com/2016/01/25/hidpi-s ... windows-10

Once you have created the .manifest files for Java you will need to download and extract the ZIP version of RomRaider to your personal folders somewhere. To start RomRaider just double click on the "run.bat" file. This will launch the Editor. If you need/want to go direct to the Logger just make a copy of the run.bat file and edit it so that the -logger entry is started and comment out the existing entry.

No one has reported back on how to apply this HiDPI workaround to the installed version of RomRaider. The .manifest workaround doesn't seem to take affect when starting RR with the RomRaider.exe launcher (although it should).

If someone with the Win10 Creators update and a HiDPI display comment on how the Creators update has affected the RomRaider display, it would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:30 pm 

dschultz wrote:
This seems to be a Java issue not supporting HiDPI displays.
There's a workaround that you can perform but it will require that you use the ZIP (standalone) version of RomRaider rather than the installed .exe version.
The workaround requires that you edit the Windows Registry and create a .manifest file for your Java executables.
You can apply this same .manifest technique to EcuFlash and other applications with HiDPI issues.

Here's an example of what you would need to do for the java.exe and javaw.exe executables in your Java installation directory.
http://pocketnow.com/2016/01/25/hidpi-s ... windows-10

Once you have created the .manifest files for Java you will need to download and extract the ZIP version of RomRaider to your personal folders somewhere. To start RomRaider just double click on the "run.bat" file. This will launch the Editor. If you need/want to go direct to the Logger just make a copy of the run.bat file and edit it so that the -logger entry is started and comment out the existing entry.

No one has reported back on how to apply this HiDPI workaround to the installed version of RomRaider. The .manifest workaround doesn't seem to take affect when starting RR with the RomRaider.exe launcher (although it should).

If someone with the Win10 Creators update and a HiDPI display comment on how the Creators update has affected the RomRaider display, it would be appreciated.

Thanks. I'll look into this. My "fix" listed above seems to be working at the moment. I'll give your method a go and see if it runs better

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
RomRaider Donator

I have a 4K screen , been on magnifying before finding the manifest solution. Only gripe is Inability to use external sensors since for those to work , need to launch from .bat

So for now , magnifying if I need to use and log external sensors. Otherwise , i launch logger from editor from shortcut On desktop not using bat file. Manifest is for javaw.exe

So far other apps that also are java based such as maf tool and megalogger