Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Innovate LM2 - Romraider logger problem Win10
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 pm 

Hi all,
As per title, I can't get my LM2 to read in the RR logger, I'm using Windows 10.
All of the Innovate MTS programs work on my laptop but it just won't read in the RR Logger.
I've selected the innovate wide and tab in RR on all sheets but as my computer is is usb3.0 I can't select a COM port, I've tried openning the innovate software before & after opening RR & before & after connecting my Tactrix to the vehicle.
No change..
Anyone with similar problems or does someone fancy taking a crack at some of the performance logs? (If you tell me exactly what you need to see)

Much apriciated.

Post subject: Re: Innovate LM2 - Romraider logger problem Win10
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:58 am 
RomRaider Developer

You cannot use the Innovate software at the same time as the RomRaider Logger. Only one application can access the WBO2 at a time.
You need to use the Innovate MTS plug-in in the Logger Externals. Make sure the WBO2 is plugged into the computer before opening the Logger.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:01 am 

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I've only now noticed that different Innovate com port selections appear in the plugins menu once the MTS is plugged in, but it still won't show the wideband reading on any of them.
I'll check the configuration of the MTS & go through the setup wizard again when I get time this week.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 am 
RomRaider Developer

It's been a long while so I don't recall exactly how the USB port is represnted in the port list. But it will be the line item that lists more than "0 sensors".
If you still have a connection issue send the rr_system.log.
http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/HowToDebug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:49 am 

Hi there,
So I ran trough the wizard again for the MTS, still no change, it didn't work.
I then went out for a short drive with the logger on 15-20mins, noticed that the Wide band did register but had frozen, I unchecked & rechecked the box a few times & again it would work very slowly for a few seconds & then freeze.
At this point an error message flashed up from windows "JAVA platform SE binary has stopped working" I was then forced to close the logger.
I apolgise that the perf log is so long but i didn't notice the wide band had registred, a little concearned to reconnect the MTS now as it crashed the RR logger.
I'm hoping that you can look to the very end for answers as to why this has happened.
If there's too much info I'll delete it & try again, have you seen anything like this before?
Regards Kev.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am 
RomRaider Developer

From what I can get from the log, you tried many things... ;-)

I do see this so the LM2 is responding.
1934 INFO [main] - Innovate MTS: found 1 ports, Innovate USB Device
2690 INFO [main] - Innovate MTS: current port [0]: Innovate USB Device
3024 INFO [main] - Innovate MTS: found 5 inputs.
3048 INFO [main] - Plugin loaded: Innovate MTS v0.06

Make sure you have selected port 0 in the plugins MTS menu item; it is not set by default.

You should see the 5 inputs show up in the Externals tab for logging selection.

Looking at the time stamps and some of the sequence of events it looks like the LM2 was disconnected while the Logger was running. If this happens you will need to shutdown the Logger and restart it so it can re-learn the LM2 connection.

Also, the MTS plugin has two modes of operation, event driven (default) and polled mode. To change the mode you need to edit the plugin file "RomRaider\plugins\lm2_mts.plugin" in a text editor and set the second line entry to =true to operate in polled mode.
Code:
datasource.pollmode=false
Sometimes it will appear that the value does not change for "a while" in event mode.

One thing that can cause the Logger and or Java to crash is ground loops. If you have more the one connection to the logging computer with different ground connects in the car then a loop can occur and this will cause current to flow through these ground connections. Interference can be picked up and crash the USB port, driver and in turn the applications. Make sure the Openport 2 and LM2 are grounded at the same point in the car. Use the shortest cables possible and connect all USB devices to a single hub and then the computer to the hub so the computer has only one cable, run on battery too. Also use a SSD rather than a HD. An HD might spin down and park on excessive vibration.

If you need to send a new rr_system.log please delete it before you make a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 am 

Hi,
I did all that you sugested but it's not showing at all now.
I have removed some of the repeating system log & replaced it with " " " " " "
Hope this speeds it up for you.

One thing I can see repeating is -Innovate MTS: Error while reading data - no input channels found to log from!
I can assure you it is plugged in, I can open the MTS on my laptop & veiw the readings.
Should I return it to event mode?

Thanks for your time with this

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 am 
RomRaider Developer

From the log it appears that it can't read the LM-2 once the input is selected. I doubt this has anything to do with event or poll mode, if you switch back to event mode do you see the same error?

You could also try this suggestion viewtopic.php?p=110729#p110729
to see if the API to the LM-2 is working as it should.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:07 am 

Hi there,
I'm still trying to work though this one, I work away a lot so it can be a while before I cant get on to it.
Will do more this wkend.
I contacted the person in the link you gave me & asked how/if he managed to solve his issue but it looks like he had the same problem as me when he tried the wideband (freezing & cutting out) but used another solution to fix his original issue with the egt gauge.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 am 

Hi there,
I finally got out with the car yesterday.
I've updated the firmware on the MTS, deleted everything & reloaded LogWorks 3.
The thing is, I get an error message at the end of the installation wizard of the MTS SDK, as follows.

"Registration of some activeX controls and/or Type Libraries failed.
Installation will finish but the application may not work properly.
The following controls couldn't be registered:
C:\Program Files (x86\LogWorks3mtssdk.ocx"

I'm not really techy enough to decipher what this means but "application may not work correctly" is fairly clear.
I do seem to remember seeing something like this before but as LogWorks has always functioned, I probably never gave it a second thought.
I've emailed Innovate a couple of times over a month but as of yet received no tech support at all.
So I may have been barking up the wrong tree with this, it could soon be an innovate/Windows 10 post & nowt to do with the glorious RR and it's logger!
What do you think?
I've tried the Google option but am now more confused than when I started :(
Do you have any ideas on the course of action I should take?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:34 am 
RomRaider Developer

You might have to run the SDK installer as Administrator to get it to register the OCX correctly. But you don't need the SDK if all you are doing is logging. The SDK is for development and if you wish to run the test application they provide.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 pm 

Okay, thanks, I'll try deleting the whole thing & reloading as admin.
I'm pretty sure I did that for the SDK but LogWorks as a whole, maybe not.

I'm loading the SDK because I thought it was necessary to try using the MTS SDK VB sample in the last link you posted to check if the API for the MTS is working correctly.
Is this incorrect?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 am 

Hi There,
I've run the LM_2 though the MTS SDK VB tool, it works just fine.
I even ran them at the same time, no problem.

I've pulled a fresh RR debug log, it's attached, Just to make sure I'm not seeing something that's nothing, would you take a look?
The same line of code relating to the LM_2 keeps reoccurring as listed below.

4708 INFO [Thread-18] - Innovate Wideband AFR: connecting...
4708 ERROR [Thread-18] - Innovate Wideband AFR: connect error
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Parameter port must not be null or empty
at com.romraider.util.ParamChecker.checkNotNullOrEmpty(ParamChecker.java:44)
at com.romraider.logger.external.innovate.generic.serial.io.InnovateRunner.<init>(InnovateRunner.java:43)
at com.romraider.logger.external.innovate.generic.serial.plugin.InnovateDataSource.connect(InnovateDataSource.java:80)
at com.romraider.logger.external.core.GenericDataSourceConnector.run(GenericDataSourceConnector.java:41)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Have you ever dealt with Innovate? How was your experience?
Really not so pleased with their tech support, contemplating just getting another wideband set up all together as the down time of the car is getting costly. If so would you care to recommend something?

Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 am 
RomRaider Developer

Sparks_c/s wrote:
4708 INFO [Thread-18] - Innovate Wideband AFR: connecting...
4708 ERROR [Thread-18] - Innovate Wideband AFR: connect error
7721 DEBUG [AWT-EventQueue-0] - Adding logger: [X_Innovate_Wideband_AFR] Innovate Wideband AFR
This error is because you have checked the Innovate AFR parameter in the Externals rather than the MTS LM2 AFR sensor. Make sure you also select the COM port under MTS in the Plugins menu.

I doubt Innovate can help here as their API is being used in a way that was not originally intended. The OCX control is being access through another API layer call COM4J. Maybe the COM4J layer is not relaying events in a timely fashion, that's why poll mode is available. It would be easier just to connect directly with the mts.dll but there's no documentation for that that I'm aware of.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 pm 
RomRaider Developer

I reviewed the MTS SDK document again and this statement if true as stated could be the problem.
MTS SDK wrote:
Code:
Event   Description
NewData Triggered when new samples are available
        This event indicates that new sample data is available for all inputs.

It states all inputs, so if you have more than AFR as an input the new data event is not triggered until the other inputs have data too. If those other inputs are not hooked up they may never have new data to report and the event not triggered by just the one input that does have new data.
In this case the polling option is the only way to read data in a timely manner.

Can you confirm that polling mode works for you?