Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting RomRaider running on Mac 10.7.1 & Tactrix 1.3U
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:03 am 
Experienced

First, I can't be sure this will work for everyone, but I have tried this on two non-upgraded Macs (10.7 from the factory). If you've upgraded from 10.6.x you should be ok, but I have no way of testing this as my last Macs were 10.6.3 and that won't install on early-2011 MBPs.

The reason this doesn't work out-of-the-box is the Mac favors the 64-bit Java environment above the 32-bit. It favors it so much that you actually can't get RomRaider to use 32-bit Java without quite a few changes. In the end it is easier to get RomRaider running on the 64-bit Java environment than to change things to run on the 32-bit one. Eventually 32-bit environments will go away in favor of 64-bit ones anyway, just like what happened to 16-bit before 32 (and 8 bit before that).

Don't try this if you're not comfortable with the Terminal, Console, and your last Time Machine backup ;)

I'll get to adding pictures shortly.

1. Download the linux ZIP of RomRaider 0.5.3b RC9, Also visit the threads on the Current ECU Defs, Current Logger Defs, and Current Car Defs and get the latest and greatest, you'll need them later.

While you're in a downloading mood, you'll also need:
The latest FTDI virtual com port drivers for Mac from: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
The latest version of EcuFlash for Mac from: http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=58

Both the MBPs I have also have Xcode installed, so you may or may not need that. Not sure there.

2. Download the 64-bit version of librxtxserial.jnilib from the guide here, compiling it yourself is beyond this document:
http://blog.iharder.net/2009/08/18/rxtx ... -mac-os-x/
(If this site ever goes away, PM me and I'll get you sorted out)

3. Put librxtxSerial.jnilib into the folder /System/Library/Java/Extensions/

Test librxtx for the x86_64 architecture in a terminal just to be sure we are ok:
Type:
file /System/Library/Java/Extensions/librxtxSerial.jnilib

Returns:
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/librxtxSerial.jnilib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/librxtxSerial.jnilib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/librxtxSerial.jnilib (for architecture i386): Mach-O bundle i386

4. You'll need to configure some permissions and make a directory or two, so break out your terminal again (if you closed it).
Quote:
A. Make /var/spool/uucp and /var/lock if there aren’t these. (Note: check to see if the directories exist already FIRST, I only had to add,chmod,chgrp /var/lock)
sudo mkdir /var/spool/uucp
sudo mkdir /var/lock

B. Change the permission and group of made directories.
sudo chmod 775 /var/spool/uucp
sudo chmod 775 /var/lock
sudo chgrp uucp /var/spool/uucp
sudo chgrp uucp /var/lock

C. Confirm the permission and group of made directories.
The output is shown as follows if your operation is correct.
ls -l /var/spool/ | grep uucp
> drwxrwxr-x 2 _uucp _uucp 68 5 19 03:15 uucp
ls -l /var/ | grep lock
> drwxrwxr-x 20 root _uucp 680 10 7 14:26 lock

D. Confirm the USER ID.
Your USER ID is shown on taro.
who -H am i

> USER LINE WHEN
> taro ttys000 Oct 7 15:28

E. Append your account to the membership of the UUCP group.
Please change taro to your USER ID.
(For Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6) (Note: and 10.7)
sudo dscl . -append /Groups/uucp GroupMembership taro

F. Comfirm the setting of UUCP group.
dscl . -read /Groups/uucp | grep GroupMembership
> GroupMembership: taro

You could technically just sudo mkdir /var/lock and sudo chmod 777 /var/lock, but that would be the unsafe way to do this. I'm only putting it here as something you can try in case the more secure way above doesn't produce results.

5. Unzip RomRaider and place the RomRaider folder where you want it. I eventually moved mine to /home/rstaph/Javaapps/RomRaider. This is also a good time to unzip/move the XMLs you downloaded to your RomRaider folder.

6. Create an alias to RomRaider.jar (Control+Click -> Make Alias) and move the alias to your Applications folder (this step is optional, technically, you can launch RR by double clicking the jar if your Java install is working right). Open the graphics folder in the RomRaider folder and open the file called romraider-ico-large.gif in preview. Hit Command+A to select all, then Command+C to copy. Control+Click on the alias you just made and "get info". Click on the alias's icon in the up left area below the window controls, it will 'glow' when its selected. Hit Command+V to paste the new icon, then close the info window.

7. Install EcuFlash

8. Install the FTDI VCP driver

9. Reboot, plug in your cable, start RomRaider (and configure all the definition locations it asks for), then launch the Logger (again configure any definitions it asks for).

10. If your install of 64-bit rxtx works, you should now have a few com ports to choose from. Mine was /dev/cu.usbserial-TX26IrAd. You'll also have a /dev/tty.****** entry for every port it finds... Use the cu.******. Unless you have more than one USB-Serial adapter, the port you want will be named /dev/cu.usbserial-******.

11. Enjoy if all went well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=229hU2-F9No
(recent exhaust leak is throwing my LC-1 lean at idle, waiting on gaskets...) Also don't mind the CRAZY min and max figures, I wanted to see how it would handle having the plug yanked (it happens) and the figures stopped on a totally wonky number. Plugged it back in and it everything came alive again.

If things don't work, find Applications->Utilities->Console and look under "All Messages" for any clues as to what might be wrong and ask here.

Update: RC10 works as well.

Last edited by JackANSI on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Getting RomRaider running on Mac 10.7.1 & Tactrix 1.3U
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm 

Port this to native OSX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:52 pm 

Or at least do a how to for us not familiar with terminal. please

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:54 am 
Experienced

1. Sadly, a native port would cause more work and more trouble than its worth really. Keeping it in Java and getting rxtx working right means that you stand a pretty darn good chance that each newer version will work "out of the box". At least until RomRaider ditches Java anyway...

2. There isn't a way to do it without the terminal. Don't run away because someone says the word 'terminal', you're only doing really minor things in the terminal to get this working. You shouldn't ignore the 'dark side' of OS X, its great to have really powerful commands sitting right behind a cherry GUI. The more you use it, the more you will use it :)

3. Things still work pretty spiffy in VMWare and bootcamp if you can't do it any other way. (at least till 10.8/2013 anyway...;))

I'll double my efforts to find free time to get images in this, that WILL help show how minor the terminal bits are...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:55 pm 

I'll have to try this out. My laptop recently took a dump on me, and I was left with my macbook lol. Also recently upgraded to 10.7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:14 pm 

This is really interesting. I've tried using ecuflash and romraider on my iMac but so many "little" things don't really work in the GUIs that it makes them a bit unusable.

For example, the tree explorer in ecuflash does not work right with multiple roms loaded, multiple roms will not load into romraider, can't edit tables in romraider, etc... there were a bunch of little things like this.

I doubt a "native" mac os x port is worth it. Not really sure what this would mean either (eg: rewrite romraider in objective C using mac ox gui tools?? Probably not going to happen). Another idea i think would be to write a iPhone/iPod app that can interface with the OpenPort so you don't have to tote your laptop around for logging, and you can see some displays on it, etc...

Someone mentioned romraider should ditch java. Since from reading the other threads it seems it may get a big overhaul anyways I would suggest using python instead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:05 am 
Experienced

Multiple ROMs and Table editing work fine in RC9 & 10 on the Mac. Only issue is there is no title bar for each of the tables so you can't move them around, but you can switch between them so its not a total loss (I'm working on this slowly btw). Better than not being able to do anything.

I was able to work with multiple ROMs in ecuflash (v 1.38.2080) without a problem as well, but I never tried flashing with more than one loaded.

While I'm never one to defend the usage of Java in my day job, in RomRaider's case it does have some pretty obvious benefits. Biggest of all being easier cross-platforming. If RomRaider was based around a mainly Windows environment, it would not be running at all on a mobile device right now. Keeping it in Java is really the only way to get it on a mobile device that will support the wired/wireless hardware that is required (Android). iPhone/iPad is a dead end for this kind of thing as it takes so much 'hacking' to get non-sanctioned things to work. I know, I've worked on such things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 am 

JackANSI wrote:
Multiple ROMs and Table editing work fine in RC9 & 10 on the Mac. Only issue is there is no title bar for each of the tables so you can't move them around, but you can switch between them so its not a total loss (I'm working on this slowly btw). Better than not being able to do anything.

I was able to work with multiple ROMs in ecuflash (v 1.38.2080) without a problem as well, but I never tried flashing with more than one loaded.

Yes, in Romradier multiple roms seem to work fine, but as you say you cannot move the tables around, which is pretty annoying for tables such as the maf scaling, and the set and multiply buttons also do not work so you cannot edit tables. I think I might only be using RC8 but I can check.

EcuFlash is a bit messy with multiple roms loaded. If you load more than one rom it always seems to display tables from the first loaded rom eventhough you select the right one at the top and then pick from the tree.

JackANSI wrote:
While I'm never one to defend the usage of Java in my day job, in RomRaider's case it does have some pretty obvious benefits. Biggest of all being easier cross-platforming. If RomRaider was based around a mainly Windows environment, it would not be running at all on a mobile device right now. Keeping it in Java is really the only way to get it on a mobile device that will support the wired/wireless hardware that is required (Android). iPhone/iPad is a dead end for this kind of thing as it takes so much 'hacking' to get non-sanctioned things to work. I know, I've worked on such things.

Apologies if my plug for python came across as a plug against java. There is nothing wrong with using java of course. The benefits of python are simply that I think it has significantly more standard packages that come with it and it is certainly a cross platform language as well in that it runs on Windows, Linux and Mac. Of course, if Android is your target then you probably have no real choice other than Java.

I threw out the iPhone/iPad thought s a response to the 'native' mac question. I suppose that Innovate Motorsports managed to get an iPhone logging app working so having something run on that platform is technically feasible. Whether it's worth the time & effort is a question for another day.

Dan

Last edited by DannyW on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 am 
Experienced

DannyW wrote:
Yes, in Romradier multiple roms seem to work fine, but as you say you cannot move the tables around, which is pretty annoying for tables such as the maf scaling, and the set and multiply buttons also do not work so you cannot edit tables.

The set and multiply buttons work fine in RC10, the only issue I've found while working in the editor is the title bar. Everything else works fine. And I've found through more testing that there is a title bar that you can drag the windows around with, its just 1-2 pixels tall so its a bit hard to grab. There isn't anything that I do on my windows laptop with romraider that I can't do with it on mac.

As for ECUflash, I think everyone gave up on the mac version of that a long time ago. It works as a flashing tool though, which is all I use it for.

DannyW wrote:
Apologies if my plug for python came across as a plug against java. There is nothing wrong with using java of course. The benefits of python are simply that I think it has significantly more standard packages that come with it and it is certainly a cross platform language as well in that it runs on Windows, Linux and Mac. Of course, if Android is your target then you probably have no real choice other than Java.

I threw out the iPhone/iPad thought s a response to the 'native' mac question. I suppose that Innovate Motorsports managed to get an iPhone logging app working so having something run on that platform is technically feasible. Whether it's worth the time & effort is a question for another day.

Dan

I like python a lot more than I like java, but I've never worked with serial ports in python so I don't know if that is any easier or harder. I'd rank java about 4th on my "if I had a choice" list. ;)

iOS stuff is just hard because of Apple's restrictions on the hardware. It would have to be over wifi, which is more expensive than bluetooth (and also has a few timing issues that cause 'dropped' connections with the ECU). Someday when apple pulls its head out of SJ's butt and we get CoreBluetooth with support for the full array of profiles, then iOS would be an option. But the only real choice for a mobile version of RomRaider (and it would still require a complete redesign of the interface) is Honeycomb. The small screen on a phone is, IMO, much more hazardous to be trying to look at than a laptop on the passenger seat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:27 pm 

JackANSI wrote:
The set and multiply buttons work fine in RC10, the only issue I've found while working in the editor is the title bar. Everything else works fine. And I've found through more testing that there is a title bar that you can drag the windows around with, its just 1-2 pixels tall so its a bit hard to grab. There isn't anything that I do on my windows laptop with romraider that I can't do with it on mac.

OK, I must be running RC8 then. I'll check it out tonight.
JackANSI wrote:
As for ECUflash, I think everyone gave up on the mac version of that a long time ago. It works as a flashing tool though, which is all I use it for.

I see. It's not such a bad tool for looking at the tables though. The plotting is significantly better than RomRaider... too bad romraider is not written in python... you could use matplotlib. :-)
JackANSI wrote:
I like python a lot more than I like java, but I've never worked with serial ports in python so I don't know if that is any easier or harder. I'd rank java about 4th on my "if I had a choice" list. ;)

No argument from me on this point. I've never worked with serial ports at all. I have worked with sockets a lot and it's pretty seamless to push data around with packages such as pickle for example.
JackANSI wrote:
iOS stuff is just hard because of Apple's restrictions on the hardware. It would have to be over wifi, which is more expensive than bluetooth (and also has a few timing issues that cause 'dropped' connections with the ECU). Someday when apple pulls its head out of SJ's butt and we get CoreBluetooth with support for the full array of profiles, then iOS would be an option. But the only real choice for a mobile version of RomRaider (and it would still require a complete redesign of the interface) is Honeycomb. The small screen on a phone is, IMO, much more hazardous to be trying to look at than a laptop on the passenger seat.

Yes, the Innovate product uses wi-fi. So, what you say makes sense.

Probably there is little chance of plugging an iPhone directly into an OpenPort2.0 but maybe it's possible with a jailbroken phone. Who knows.

I actually use a Zt-2 + LCD display for AFR, EGT, Boost so that I do not have to look over at the laptop for those. I would think that an app which can log and display a few key parameters (on iPhone or similar device) would probably be better than the Zeitronix LCD display. Usually you only want to actually 'view' a few at a time at most while you are driving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:23 pm 

Well, I tried RC10 and both set and multiply are now working. I also can confirm that if you manage to grab the 2 pixels at the top of a table then you can drag it around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm 
RomRaider Developer

Can you provide a screenshot of the table title bar problem?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:54 pm 

Sure, here you go. Captured a couple of images of the primary open loop fueling table.

First image is after I managed to move it. Second image is how it initially pops up in the top left.

Attachments:
File comment: After moving.
table-moved.png
table-moved.png [ 310.61 KiB | Viewed 4254 times ]
File comment: Before moving
table.png
table.png [ 735.61 KiB | Viewed 4254 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:07 pm 

Well, I've got eclipse and subclipse installed and the latest romraider source checked out of svn. git would be a better tool for this project, but at any rate...

Is it possible to build and run this thing on a mac? Many errors appear on a checkout and they mostly seem to be due to a missing file com.romraider.Version that provides various settings. I see there is a Version.java.template there. Is that used as part of a build or something?

My iMac is running 64 bit lion and I'm using the 64 bit version of Eclipse Java EE Indigo. If this can be made to work I'm willing to do some development on it in my 'spare time'. :)

EDIT: Well, right clicking build.xml and selecting Run As -> Ant Build ... and building the "all" target seems to build everything. The zip files that get created seem to be working. Maybe these points should be for a different thread about romraider mac os support...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:28 pm 
Experienced

DannyW wrote:
EDIT: Well, right clicking build.xml and selecting Run As -> Ant Build ... and building the "all" target seems to build everything. The zip files that get created seem to be working. Maybe these points should be for a different thread about romraider mac os support...

Was just about to say that, but you beat me ;)

Also in the screen shots, the area where you need to use to drag is 2 pixels tall, right at the edge of the top of the window. The tip of the pointer has to be right on the edge of the window.