Developers

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To: Closed Loop MAF Scaling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:01 pm 
RomRaider Donator

STILL BEING CREATED - PICS AND MORE INFO COMING SOON

Intro
Even though most ppl know how to do this and understand when and why it is needed, I thought I'd create this howto so all the info is in one spot.

When and Why
There will always be conflicting reasons as to when and why you should rescale your MAF - so I'll first explain the why, and this will highlight when you need to do it. I'm not going to go into too much detail or theory, but feel some explanation is required as many newcommers tend to assume rescaling the "MAF Sensor Scaling" table is the first thing they need to do to correct problems with their tune - and that is not always true.

Basically, the MAF sensor simply converts the mass of air passing the MAF sensor into a voltage, from which the ECU then calculates the amount of air entering the engine based on the MAF scaling table. So the only time the MAF scaling table ever needs to be touched is if:
  1. The intake, MAF housing, or something else in the intake has been changed and is causing more/less air to pass the MAF sensor without an increase in MAF sensor voltage

There is no other reason to touch the MAF scaling, so if you have not touched your intake, MAF housing, or anything else that effect the them, DO NOT touch the MAF scaling table.

Now with that out of the way, here are the two most common methods of rescaling the closed loop section of your MAF scaling table (from 0 MAFv to approx 2.8 MAFv).

What first - MAF or Injector
A touchy point for some, but IMHO the best way to tune both, is to first ensure one is stock. Your two options are:
  1. "MAF Sensor Sacling" first - If you want to tune your MAFv because you changed your intake/MAF housing, then use the stock injectors and stock injector settings in your ROM.
  2. Injectors first - If you have aftermarket/different injectors, then use the stock airbox/MAF housing and intake and the stock "MAF Sensor Scaling" table values in your ROM.

This will greatly simplify things and give you the most accurate results and best drivability. Not doing it one of these two ways will be a major hassle for most, and not only will it be very time consuming and tedious, it can also lead to drivability issues that can cause harm to your engine if you are not careful.

So if you plan on upgrading your intake/MAF housing and your injectors - do one at a time so you can accurately tune for them with the least amount of headache and/or possibility of damaging your engine. Then once you have one tuned, fit/install the other and tune for it.

Using RomRaider Logger's MAF Tab:
  1. Open your ROM in RomRaider ECU Editor
  2. When the ROM has finished loading, open the "MAF Sensor Scaling" table
  3. With the "MAF Sensor Scaling" table open, select the "Logger" menu heading and click "Launch ECU Logger" - this will open the RomRaider Logger
  4. When the RomRaider Logger finishes opening, click the "Disconnect from ECU" button
  5. Select the correct COM port - it will then reconnect
  6. Once it has connected, DESELECT ALL SELECTED PARAMETERS (if you have any selected already) and click on the "MAF" tab
  7. (Note: The values chosen here are related to the "units" selected on the Data tab. i.e.: if the Coolant temp units is metric (C) then the filter values should also be metric. Same for Max IAT. The filter should be associated to the units of the Data tab. There is no need to select the item on the Data tab, just take note of the units for each - thx dschultz .For the MAF tab to work correctly, you need to edit a few of the "filter data" options on the left - change the following:
    • MAF Range (g/s) to: 0 - 200
    • Max. Intake Temp to: 135
  8. With those edited,and all other parameters in the other tabs deselected, you can now test to see if it is working correctly by clicking the "Record Data" button
  9. While idling, you should start to see red dots filling the black table in the right panel
  10. If it is not working, check to ensure you have set the "Filter Data" correctly - here is what the complete "Filter Data" panel should look like:
  11. If it still is not working, click the "Dashboard" tab, and select the following parameters:
    • A/F Sensor #1
    • A/F Correction #1
    • A/F Learning #1
    • CL/OL Status
    • Coolant Temperature
    • Engine Speed
    • Intake Air Temperature
    • Mass Airflow
    • Mass Airflow Volts
    • Tip-in Throttle
  12. If any of the values displayed for the above parameters are not within the min/max values and units listed in the "Filter Data" panel on the MAF tab, then you most likely have another problem (air leak, incorrect injector latency etc) and should correct that before continuing. If all the values are within the min/max, then post a screenshot of both the current values being displayed, as well as the values used on the MAF tab and I'll assist as much as I can.
  13. If the MAF tab is working correctly and you can see red dots being recorded, then you can now start driving and gathering more points to allow you to rescale. For best results and to ensure your "MAF Sensor Scaling" will be as accurate as possible, do the following:
    • NO SUDDEN THROTTLE CHANGES - it is very important to keep throttle as smooth and consistent as possible. I find it is best to ONLY click the "Record Data" button once I am at the signed speed for the street I am driving and there is a good stretch of road for logging (ie. no stop lights etc).
    • RECORD AT LEAST 30 minutes of highway/freeway driving in your top gear as close to the point where you switch from closed loop to open loop - you can see when you switch from closed loop to open loop as the red dots will stop being recorded (the dots will no longer move/blink, it will stay at the last recorded red dot). A highway/freeway with a long, constant incline is best - this will allow you to gather data points for the upper most region of he closed loop section of your MAF Sensor Scaling table (MAFv of around 2.8v).
    • RECORD AT LEAST 30 minutes of general driving. This can include driving to/from shops, movies, work etc.
    • RECORD AT LEAST 15 minutes of slow speed driving - around an unpopulated car park is best
    • RECORD AT LEAST 5 minutes while you idle - BUT not while your car warms up. It is best to do this after you have done all the other driving above, as your car will be at running temp and the engine bay will be heatsoaked.
    • And as per the first point, NO SUDDEN THROTTLE CHANGES. If you need to stop, slowdown, speed up quickly - click the "Record Data" button first, as it will pause. Then when you are back at correct speed, click it again to continue. If you continue to record while you stop, start, speed up, slow down, with constant sudden throttle changes, the data collected can skew the results and your MAF scaling can be dramatically out for any MAFv where these sudden throttle changes occurred.
  14. Now after all that driving, you will have many red dots gathered, now it is time to start rescaling
  15. Set the "Poly. order" to 12 and click "Interpolate - this will interpolate all gathered data points and draw a "best fit" line through them all. The values where this interpolated line intersects is the percent that each intersecting MAFv will be changed.
  16. You now have two options to apply the corrections:
    1. Lazy way (less accurate) - apply all changes at once across the complete closed loop section of your MAF Sensor Scaling table. To do it this way:
      • In the "Update MAF" panel, enter the MAFv value correlating to the lowest red dot and the highest red dot
      • Click the "Update MAF" button
      • Note: This is not the best way to do it as it can skew results if data was recorded during sudden throttle changes, but it is useful way for those with massive corrections being applied (-+ 15%) to get to a point where they can fine tune their MAF Sensor Scaling table without hitting the limits of corrections.
    2. Tedious way (more accurate) - apply changes only for sections where large amounts of red dots have been recorded and there is no data from sudden throttle changes. To do it this way:
      • Look at your red dots and the interpolated line and try and locate the areas affected by sudden throttle changes. Once you have located the affected areas, note down the MAFv where they start/end.
      • With the affected start/end MAFv points located, you will be able to break the interpolated line into sections, starting after and ending before these points.
      • In the "Update MAF" panel, enter the MAFv values at the beginning and end of each section
      • Click the "Update MAF" button
  17. Go back to the RomRaider ECU Editor where your ROM is opened and the MAF Sensor Scaling table is open - you will see the changes have been applied
  18. With the changes made to your "MAF Sensor Scaling" table, all that is left is for you to save your ROM, write it to your ECU with ECUFlash.
  19. Now rinse and repeat a couple more times and your MAF Sensor Scaling will be perfect - your A/F corrections in Learning View should now be within -+3%.
  20. Note: These steps are all outlined in Dweeb's instructions HERE.

Using MickeyD2005's CL scaling spreadsheet:
  1. Download MickeyD2005's CL scaling spreadsheet HERE
  2. Go for a drive to ensure car as it normal operating temp (5 minute drive should be fine in warm areas, longer for colder areas).
  3. Open RomRaider Logger and click the "Reconnect to ECU" button (green image).
  4. Once connected, click the "Dashboard" tab, and select the following parameters:
    • A/F Correction #1 (%)
    • A/F Learning #1 (%)
    • A/F Sensor #1 (AFR)
    • CL/OL Fueling* (status)
    • Engine Load (Direct)* (g/rev)
    • Engine Speed (rpm)
    • Fuel Injector #1 Pulse Width (Direct)* (ms)
    • Manifold Relative Pressure (psi)
    • Mass Airflow (g/s)
    • Mass Airflow Sensor Voltage (V)
    • Throttle Opening Angle (%)"
  5. OPTIONAL STEP - select "File" from the main menu, then click "Save Profile As..." and save the profile for future use - call it CL-INJ-Scaling or something memorable.
  6. Now click "log to file" and go for a drive. For best results and to ensure your "MAF Sensor Scaling" will be as accurate as possible, do the following:
    • NO SUDDEN THROTTLE CHANGES - it is very important to keep throttle as smooth and consistent as possible. I find it is best to ONLY click the "Log to file" button once I am at the signed speed for the street I am driving and there is a good stretch of road for logging (ie. no stop lights etc) - I actually just click the demister button as it is easier to click then trying to move a mouse via a touchpad while driving ;)
    • RECORD AT LEAST 30 minutes of highway/freeway driving in your top gear as close to the point where you switch from closed loop to open loop - you can see when you switch from closed loop to open loop as the "CL/OL Fueling" value will change from "8" to "10". A highway/freeway with a long, constant incline is best - this will allow you to gather data points for the upper most region of the closed loop section of your MAF Sensor Scaling table (MAFv of around 2.8v).
    • RECORD AT LEAST 30 minutes of general driving. This can include driving to/from shops, movies, work etc.
    • RECORD AT LEAST 15 minutes of slow speed driving - around an unpopulated car park is best
    • RECORD AT LEAST 5 minutes while you idle - BUT not while your car warms up. It is best to do this after you have done all the other driving above, as your car will be at running temp and the engine bay will be heatsoaked.
    • And as per the first point, NO SUDDEN THROTTLE CHANGES. If you need to stop, slowdown, speed up quickly - click the "Log to file" button first, to stop logging. Then when you are back at correct speed, click it again to start a new log. If you continue to log data while you stop, start, speed up, slow down, with constant sudden throttle changes, the data collected can skew the results and your MAF scaling can be dramatically out for any MAFv where these sudden throttle changes occurred.
  7. Once you have completed all the logging as per suggestions. Stop your car and open the CL scaling spreadsheet - you will need to ensure macros have been enabled or you will get a warning in a toolbar up top where you can enable it.
  8. Once macros have been enabled, select the "Input" tab
  9. Click the "Clear and Get Data" button - this will open an explorer dialog box where you will need to navigate to your saved log files. Select the first log file and click "Open" to load it into the spreadsheet
  10. Once the log file has finished being loaded into the spreadsheet, click the "Add Data" button to add another log file - this will open the explorer dialog box again, so navigate to your saved log files and select the next log file and click "Open" to load it into the spreadsheet
  11. Once the log file has finished being loaded into the spreadsheet, repeat the above step for the remaining log files (ie. just click the "Add Data" button, select the next log file, open it and repeat).
  12. With all log files now loaded into the spreadsheet, click the "Grab Headers" button to ensure all columns are correctly recognised and selected in the fields below the "Filter Data" button - if any of the fields are empty/not-selected, you have most likely forgot to log the required parameter, in which case you will need to redo all your logs and ensure the forgotten parameter is added to your list of logged parameters (and saved to your profile if you made one earlier). Or it is possible it is just not recognised and you will be need to manually selected it.
  13. Once all headers are recognised, click the "Filter Data" button - this will start processing all the logged data - it can take ages if you have a lot of logged data, so just keep an eye on it, but don't try and do anything in excel or try and click on the spreadsheet while it is running as it may crash excel and you'll have redo it all (ie. reopen the spreadsheet, reload the log files and filter again).
  14. Once it stops, it will go back to the "Input" tab. At this point, SAVE YOUR SPREADSHEET - just in case excel crashes.
  15. Once you have saved the spreadsheet, select the "Graph Data" tab - this is the tab that holds all the processed results and the tab you use to start correcting your "MAF Sensor Scaling" table.
  16. Look at Column "S", this is the column that holds all the relevant corrections that need to be applied to your "MAF Sensor Scaling" table.
  17. Open your ROM in RomRaider ECU Editor and once loaded, open the "MAF Sensor Scaling" table
  18. In the CL scaling spreadsheet, on the "Graph Data" tab, in the "S" column, start from the top most value and work your way down to the lowest. What you need to do is see what MAFv that correction value is for (listed in the "M" column) and then find that MAFv value in your "MAF Sensor Scaling" table in RomRaider and multiply the Airflow g/s value for that MAFv value (in your "MAF Sensor Scaling" table in RomRaider) by the correction listed in the CL scaling spreadsheet, on the "Graph Data" tab, in the "S" column. Sounds confusing, but here is a pic:
  19. Once you have worked your way through all correction values in the CL scaling spreadsheet, on the "Graph Data" tab, in the "S" column, and applied them to all the Airflow g/s value for that MAFv value (in your "MAF Sensor Scaling" table in RomRaider) save your ROM, write it to your ECU with ECUFlash and repeat the process again.

(Post edited to correct typos and add further info - thx dschultz)

Current Car: 2002 ADM WRX STi
Current Engine: EJ207
Current Mods: X-Force 3" TBE Exhaust, GCG "bolt-on" GT3076R, APS 3" Hard Turbo Inlet, Short Ram Pod, RomRaider/ECUFlash Tune
Current Power: 248kw@wheels (332whp)

Last edited by wrxsti-l on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:24 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Closed Loop MAF Scaling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 pm 
Administrator

You should add a third option.

Use multiple instances of AFR Learning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 pm 
RomRaider Donator

mickeyd2005 wrote:
You should add a third option.

Use multiple instances of AFR Learning.

Do you mean using learningview, or logging A/F learning directly?

If you meant learningview, I am not a fan of doing it that way as general changes based on the large A/F learning ranges used can easily throw out specific MAFv values - ie. although learningview might display -4% correction for B, there may actually be specific MAFv points within this region that require positive correction, and using a blanket -4% correction across all B could make them easily go outside the recommended -+5%.

If you meant via another means, please explain further, as I'll add all methods that best determine accurate MAF Sensor Scaling.

Leslie

Current Mods: X-Force 3" TBE Exhaust, GCG "bolt-on" GT3076R, APS 3" Hard Turbo Inlet, Short Ram Pod, RomRaider/ECUFlash Tune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:40 am 
Administrator

The problem with my spreadsheet (and probably the romraider function) is that the ecu does not weight the data equally. That's why in my spreadsheet, I have some weird if-then logic. I was trying to figure out which data to throw out just like the ecu would. However, I was never able to replicate the logic. I think there's an rpm dependency in the logic as well which I never included. For example, I think the data at 2400 rpm seems to be favored the most. Data at 3200 rpm in closed loop almost never seems to affect AFR learning.

I am finding that intakes with short tracts have very weird 3D affect. There are hot spots as a function of rpm and MRP.

I use learning view from 60-70 and 70+ g/s. Then I change it 50-60 and 60+. Then I change it 40-50 and 50+ and then finally I change it to 30-40 and 40+.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:27 am 

Do you keep it in closed loop at 60-70? If so, how?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:13 am 
RomRaider Donator

mickeyd2005 wrote:
The problem with my spreadsheet (and probably the romraider function) is that the ecu does not weight the data equally. That's why in my spreadsheet, I have some weird if-then logic. I was trying to figure out which data to throw out just like the ecu would. However, I was never able to replicate the logic. I think there's an rpm dependency in the logic as well which I never included. For example, I think the data at 2400 rpm seems to be favored the most. Data at 3200 rpm in closed loop almost never seems to affect AFR learning.

Perhaps extra filtering will make it more accurate? How are things filtered now?

mickeyd2005 wrote:
I am finding that intakes with short tracts have very weird 3D affect. There are hot spots as a function of rpm and MRP.

This might also be occurring with large MAF housings, but it could also just be turbulence.

mickeyd2005 wrote:
I use learning view from 60-70 and 70+ g/s. Then I change it 50-60 and 60+. Then I change it 40-50 and 50+ and then finally I change it to 30-40 and 40+.

Ah, yeah I had a thought that is what you were refering to, but needed you to clarify just in case you had another method :)

I have done this for troublesome g/s sections, adjusting A/L learning ranges to zone in on specific smallish regions and then used learning view to view corrections being made. Works pretty well actually.

I'll add it as a third option tomorrow, and hopefully add the pics to go along with the steps :)

Leslie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:25 am 
RomRaider Donator

NSFW wrote:
Do you keep it in closed loop at 60-70? If so, how?

It will depend on how your primary fueling table looks (ie. when and where in the RPM the AFR drops under your CL fueling target limits "rich" value) and also what your CL maximum RPM and CL maximum throttle are set to.

Then, by going up a long incline in top gear at high speed and driving in and out of OL at moderate throttle - you can generally capture small amounts of 55+g/s data just before it switches to OL. Just do this continually and you should be able to capture enough data to use :)

Saying that, without modifying your CL limits/max settings, you'll be hard pressed to capture any usable data above 60g/s.

Leslie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am 
Experienced

wrxsti-l wrote:
Then, by going up a long incline in top gear at high speed and driving in and out of OL at moderate throttle - you can generally capture small amounts of 55+g/s data just before it switches to OL. Just do this continually and you should be able to capture enough data to use :)

Saying that, without modifying your CL limits/max settings, you'll be hard pressed to capture any usable data above 60g/s.

Leslie

This is pretty much what I do. Long sections of various highway grades for an hour or so while attempting to hold the maf in the range that I'm working with in lv. I was instructed by mickeyd to put the cl/ol delay to half the stock value while doing this and I'm able to collect some data in the 70g/s range. More in the 50/60 range and the 30/40 ranges are really easy to hold the maf at in closed loop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:48 am 
Administrator

For CL MAF scaling, I also recommend changing WGDC = 0. This is to minimize the chance of running lean under boost since CL/OL delay is half the stock value.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:51 pm 

BTW, the intake temp to key in is in C or F?

TQ.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:44 pm 
RomRaider Donator

It doesn't matter, just set it to 135 (ie. add a 1 in front) and it will work.

Leslie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am 
RomRaider Developer

bluetaxi wrote:
BTW, the intake temp to key in is in C or F?

TQ.

The intake temp units corresponds to whatever you have set on the other tabs.

Post subject: Re: How To: Closed Loop MAF Scaling
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 pm 
RomRaider Donator

Is there a way to check if I need CL MAF scaling w/o logging so long as for the complete procedure and if my car ECU is not supported by LV?

I'm with a Stage 3 08 WRX as per XPT definition. I'm using that map but after I installed the AEM CAI (with the CAI version of the map) in OL my target AF are around 10.2 and my AEM UEGO is showing 11.2 (also peak load dropped from over 3.1 g/rev to 2.8 g/rev with higher boost).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:03 pm 
RomRaider Donator

Contact XPT and ask for the XPT definitions file for your ROM. Then you can log the fields required for Mickey's Closed Loop Scaling spreadsheet as per the instructions I posted.

Leslie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:21 pm 
RomRaider Donator

What if you have a K&N drop in filter- would that warrant the need for MAF scaling? I've been watching my fuel trims with LV and my 10-30 cell is a little higher than 5%

I've been trying to drive in that range and see if it changes- between yesterday and this morning I was able to get it a full point down- from 7.5 to 6.5

Tonight I plan to throw an OEM filter in and see if the trims come back in line

this is on a stock tune, stock everything except the k&n drop in

My sceenshots seem to be too big to attach to the post- I'll see if I can't remedy that and attach them to see

Thanks