Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To: Open Loop MAF Scaling
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:14 am 
RomRaider Donator

Thought it might be of help to explain the steps required to easily rescale your MAF Scaling table for OL.

I find the best/easiest/quickest way for open loop MAF scaling is to use Airboy's spreadsheet (HERE) and Bad Noodle's OL MAF Tool (HERE).

Basically you do the following:

1. 3 WOT 3rd gear logs from 2000rpm to redline and log the following parameters:
    • Engine Speed (rpm)
    • Engine Load (g/rev)
    • Wideband 02
    • Mass Airflow Sensor Voltage (V)
    • Throttle Opening Angle (%)
  2. Then you open Airboy's Spreadsheet, select the "Data" tab (if not already selected) and click the "Import CSV File" button to load the first WOT log file (you may have to enable macro's in the spreadsheet for the button to work)
  3. Once the CSV log file is loaded, click "grab headers" and then click "filter (WOT Data Only)" to filter out all non WOT data.
  4. Now open RomRaider Editor and open your current ROM and then open and copy the "Primary Open Loop Fueling table"
  5. Now back in Airboy's spreadsheet, select the "AFR Target" tab and then scroll down until there is nothing in the way, click in an empty cell, then paste the copied fuel table.
  6. Now scroll back to the top and click the "Align and Move Copied Table" button and it will automagically move youe fuel table up to the top and over the one in the top left corner.
  7. Now select the "AFR Interpolate" tab, click the "clear data" button, then click the "grab headers (from data page)" button, then click the "get data" button and finally click the "Interpolate AFR" button.
  8. Now save Airboy's spreadsheet and call it something like "OL MAF 1"
  9. Now rinse and repeat for the other two WOT log files until you have 3 seperate airboy spreadsheets (eg. OL MAF 1, OL MAF 2, OL MAF 3).
  10. Now open all 3 airboy spreadsheets again and once they are opened, select the "AFR Interpolate" tab for each of them.
  11. Now open Bad Noodle's OLMAFTool and select the "data" tab.
  12. What you need to do now, is copy the last two columns of interpolated data in each of the airboy spreadsheet's "AFR Interpolate" tab (they are the columns with headings: Mass Airflow Sensor Voltage (V)
    and AFR Error %) and then paste the column data from your first WOT log under where it says "RUN 1" in Bad Noodle's OLMAFTool, the column data from your second WOT log under where it says "RUN 2" in Bad Noodle's OLMAFTool and the column data from your third WOT log under where it says "RUN 3" in Bad Noodle's OLMAFTool.
  13. Now your OLMAFTool will have 3 sets of column data that you copied from each of the airboy spreadsheet's "AFR Interpolate" tab. If not, you did something wrong, so reread and do it again until you do.
  14. Go back to your ROM file that is opened in RomRaider editor and open and copy the "MAF Scaling" table.
  15. Now back in the OLMAFTool, select the "MAF Scaling" tab and scroll it all the way to the left, click in the top right cell (where it says: [Table2d] ) and then paste your "MAF Scaling" table.
  16. Now still in the OLMAFTool, select the "Data" tab again and click the "Get Scaling" button.
  17. The OLMAFTool will start doing it's calulations and when finished it will be left open on the "MAF Scaling" tab again and you will see newly calculated data in roms 9 and 10. Any values under BOLD numbers are values that have been calculated and which you will then need to copy back over your MAF Scaling table in the RomRaider editor.
  18. Basically, the bolded values are the MAF Scaling Table's MAFv values and the values under them are the MAF Scaling table's new airflow values.
  19. Visually check the new shape of your MAF Scaling graph (in red) to ensure it still has a smooth transition from lowest MAFv value to the highest MAFv value. If there are any sudden spikes or iregularities in the graph, then recheck the data you pasted. If you don't know what is causing it, then once you have updated your MAF Scaling table with the new values from the OLMAFtool spreadsheet, save the ROM and then open it with ECUFlash and use the "view" option to view the MAF Scaling table and manually smooth that point.
  20. That's about it. Rinse and repeat this several times and your OL MAF Scaling will be pretty accurate.

Note: Make sure you check the newly calculated values are to ensure no spikes/dips etc and you didn't make a mistake copying the data from Airboy's spreadsheet to Bad Noodle's OLMAFTool, otherwise your MAF Scaling will be wrong and you can/will cause damage to your car. Also note that this works best if you log in the higher gears (4th or 5th if possible) as there is more usable data recorded in the log, otherwise you'll have to do several sessions of logging in 3rd to get it sorted.

Hope this helps.

Leslie.

Current Car: 2002 ADM WRX STi
Current Engine: EJ207
Current Mods: X-Force 3" TBE Exhaust, GCG "bolt-on" GT3076R, APS 3" Hard Turbo Inlet, Short Ram Pod, RomRaider/ECUFlash Tune
Current Power: 248kw@wheels (332whp)

Post subject: Re: Open Loop MAF Scaling
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:56 pm 
RomRaider Donator

Very nice write-up. I assume a WB O2 is necessary, or will the stock 32-bit ECU primary O2 do the trick?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:58 pm 

The stocker will work until you get into boost - then it's not accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 pm 
RomRaider Developer

Speaking of WB02... I read conflicting info about the placement of the sensor. I see install it after the turbo and before the cat, but then in the same document it says to keep it a certain distance from the turbo to avoid overheating... In my case with the Invidia DP the cat is only about 6-8" from the turbo flange. So what is the downside of putting it in the rear O2 location other than the extra delay in the readings?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How To: Open Loop MAF Scaling
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 pm 
Experienced

will this spread sheet work with open office or just excel?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:28 pm 
RomRaider Donator

dschultz wrote:
Speaking of WB02... I read conflicting info about the placement of the sensor. I see install it after the turbo and before the cat, but then in the same document it says to keep it a certain distance from the turbo to avoid overheating... In my case with the Invidia DP the cat is only about 6-8" from the turbo flange. So what is the downside of putting it in the rear O2 location other than the extra delay in the readings?
Thanks.

Mine is also 6 or so inches from the turbo and it works fine. All you need to do is use a heatshield (as recommended in the manual). All the heatshield is is a rectangle piece of copper bent to form a V type shape with a hole drilled in the center of it so that you can put the sensor through that before screwing it into the dump pipe.

Alternatively, it is much easier to buy several feet of 1" exhaust wrap and wrap the dump pipe from directly behind the turbo to about a foot past the sensors location - this will keep temps around the sensor low enough not to damage or interfere with the sensor :)

Leslie

Current Mods: X-Force 3" TBE Exhaust, GCG "bolt-on" GT3076R, APS 3" Hard Turbo Inlet, Short Ram Pod, RomRaider/ECUFlash Tune

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 am 
RomRaider Donator

wrxsti-l wrote:
dschultz wrote:
Thanks.

Mine is also 6 or so inches from the turbo and it works fine. All you need to do is use a heatshield (as recommended in the manual). All the heatshield is is a rectangle piece of copper bent to form a V type shape with a hole drilled in the center of it so that you can put the sensor through that before screwing it into the dump pipe.

Alternatively, it is much easier to buy several feet of 1" exhaust wrap and wrap the dump pipe from directly behind the turbo to about a foot past the sensors location - this will keep temps around the sensor low enough not to damage or interfere with the sensor :)

Leslie

Liar! Mine lasted 11 months 8" from the turbo with a fully wrapped DP.. :|

Moved to the rear o2 location and the delay is not noticeable (judging by tip in :))

Greddy 18g
Corn Fed
ID1000's
Sleeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:38 am 
RomRaider Donator

Is there any preference in Engine Load: 4 byte, 1 byte, calculated?

Could you add a step in order to properly set the # of rows of offset in the Badnoodle spreadsheet?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:34 pm 
Experienced

is there a way to scale OL MAF without a wideband?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:21 pm 
RomRaider Donator

helix wrote:
is there a way to scale OL MAF without a wideband?

At a minimum you'll need an 02 sensor that can read the AFR targeted in your Primry Open Loop Fueling tables in your ROM.

Hopefully easier to understand:
OL = Open Loop, which = Primary Open Loop fueling tables in your ROM, which = AFR's lower then what the oem 02 sensor can safely read.

And a lean condition or knock while driving at wide open throttle (full throttle) at high RPM can very quickly kill your engine - as in I know of a car that blew it's engine the very first time it was run at wot at high rpm because it went lean. So always be careful and use whatever is required to do it safely.

Leslie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:02 am 
Experienced

Thanks,

I just don't want to kill my warranty becasue subaru see the Wideband mounted on the piping somewhere.

Can you recommend a way of tuning that doesn't involve the wideband? i currently have only got a cat back exhaust and K&N air filter on a 2008 WRX.

I'm running pretty much close to the same maps as the stock MY09 WRX for Open loop fuel and timing and etc as they are more agressive than the 2008 maps and have tweaked the boost to suit my TD04L turbo that the 2008 model has. ie more boost earlier, less later. and WGDC's to match.

The car seems knock free at high RPM but i have problems with knock at what looks to be big movements in throttle at low to mid <3K RPM. and I have taken a lot of timing of this region but still get random general knock at about 2800 RPM under different load.

The knock is appearing as -1.4 up to -2.8 in FBKC but none in my fine learning tables, also IAM never changes.

Any ideas on what you would do in this situation would be greatly appreaciated. I.E. is running the 2009 maps and tweaking them for my car a dumb idea, should i have stuck to starting to tune from my original maps a better way to go? i Originaly done this but i did not know how much timing and fuel to add which would be safe, as i have no wideband. So i thought that as long as i ran the same or less boost as the 2009 in those cells i would be ok. which has seemed to work, except for the mentioned bouts of knock at low to mid RPM.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:34 am 
RomRaider Donator

No. To tune open loop properly and safely you need a wideband 02 that can correctly and accurately measure the AFR in OL.

If you are worried about warranty, then you really shouldn't even touch your car. Any changes done to your ECU will immediately void your warranty unless done by a tuner that is recognised and authorised to do so by Subaru in your Country.

If you still want to do it, then put the wideband 02 in just while you tune the OL, then remove it once you're done.

But regardless, Subaru will be able to tell if you have changed anything in the ROM, so why even try and hide it?

Leslie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm 
Experienced

can they tell even if you reflash back to the original ROM?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 am 
RomRaider Donator

helix wrote:
can they tell even if you reflash back to the original ROM?

I can not say with any certainty if they can or can not.

However, they can easily tell if the ROM on the ECU has had any values/data changed.

Leslie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:31 am 

I want to use this tool to scale my MAF in open loop, but I have a question. How can the tool properly measure the error in AFR if the ECU is making adjustments from the open loop fuel table to come up with a final commanded AFR?

It seems that in cases where the final commanded AFR is different from the base AFR from the open loop table, the spreadsheet would come up with an incorrect AFR error, which could then lead to incorrect scaling, or am I not understanding this properly?

Thanks for any insight.

edit: I started wondering about this because I noticed that there are two open loop fuel tables in my rom ('08 STi) and then noticed that there is a parameter which is called something like "final commanded AFR".