Q Are additional gauges necessary if I am already logging my car?
They are recommended. The following can give you additional (or more accurate) information than logging alone or warn you of potential problems when you are not logging:
EGT gauge, boost gauge, wideband oxygen sensor, and a knock light.
Q I want to learn more about tuning. Can you recommend where to start?
Here’s a collection of useful links:
The following sites have specific information about RomRaider and other open source tuning solutions:
- www.romraider.com - Obviously the main source of information about RomRaider. Check out the “Tuning Discussion and Base Maps” forum for tuning help.
- www.osecuroms.org - A great place to find staged maps available to download (you must register first to view downloads). Also an active forum for tuning discussion.
- http://forums.openecu.org - The original forum for the OpenECU project. Broader scope covering EcuFlash as well as RomRaider and other tuning solutions for Subarus and Mitsubishis.
- www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Scoobypedia/Scoobypedia - This Wiki site has a number of How-Tos and FAQs relating to Subarus. Check out the “ECU” section.
The following are Subaru specific forums that may discuss RomRaider as well as other engine management solutions and also general tuning and modding:
- http://forums.nasioc.com/forums - Take a look at the “Engine Management and Tuning” forum and “Stock ECU Reflashes” sub-forum for discussion related to various forms of Subaru engine management, including RomRaider. One of, if not the largest Subaru forum on the planet.
- www.iwsti.com/forums - This site is primarily focused on the USDM STi. See the “ECU Tuning and Performance Electronics” forum for tuning assistance.
- www.clubwrx.net/forums - Dedicated to the WRX and STi. Check out the “Electronic Engine Management” forum.
- www.legacygt.com/? - Forums specific to the Legacy GT.
- www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin - A site dedicated to the Forester. Take a look at the “Turbo Tuning” forum.
The following are links for commercially available software, however they contain tuning information about Subaru engine management that can be useful. Be aware, however, that the table names and sometimes the unit conversions in their software may differ from RomRaider:
- www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31091 - Cobb tuning has developed two excellent guides and a spreadsheet which cover general Subaru tuning as well as information specific to tuning aftermarket injectors.
- www.ecutek.com/tuning/ - some basic information about tuning and logging.
Q Are there any recommended books about Engine Management?
“How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems” by Jeff Hartman