RomRaider provides many features normally only seen in commercial software applications. The main capabilities are:
- Platform agnostic: RomRaider is written in Java making it easier to support tuning on various operating systems. Currently Windows and Linux are supported.
- Subaru support: Support for many Subaru ROM versions via plug-in ECU definition data files. ECU definitions can be upgraded independently of the actual tuning software.
- Multiple maps: The ability to load, modify and save one or more ROM files
- Intuitive user interface: Simple, easy to use user interface which presents the various ROM maps within a tree view grouped by function e.g. Boost, Fuel, Timing are each groups collating a number of related maps.
- Tuning by User Level: This is a tuning safety related capability which restricts (write) access to certain maps based on User Level e.g. beginner, intermediate, advanced. User level may be dynamically switched at any time.
- Intelligent map data display: All data within maps are intelligently displayed using the appropriate unit of measure e.g. RPM, Boost (PSI/Bar - absolute or relative), Temperature (degrees F or C). Additionally map data is colour coded greatly reducing the time taken to understand and tune a map.
- 3D graphing: Map table data may be displayed in 3D as an additional map visualisation aid.
- Map tuning assistant: A detailed description of each map is available to the tuner from the map properties page.
- Map comparision: This allows maps from the same or different ECUs to be easily compared.
- Map copy & paste: ROMs can be quickly tuned using the map copy and paste capability.
- Map smoothing: This allows tuners to interpolate map data values greatly reducing the time taken to alter maps.
- Realtime data logging and post analysis tool: This includes the ability to overlay data logs on to actual maps as an aid when fine tuning.